Part of the "12 Beers Of The Apocalypse" Series.. #6 to be exact. I have loved the releases of so many different beers which have also just started to be distributed to areas up here in Vancouver, WA.
Not much to find about this one, but I will put up a live review as I am tasting it right now! (1:44 am 8/4/2012)
- Pours a clear copper with a quick fizzling off-white head. Light white ring sitting with scattered dust over the brew. This just doesn't look like a Saison, or a wasteland for that matter.... but a brew that tried to hit the style with a house yeast. Don't mean to slam it, but it is what it is.
- Nice clean herbal aroma. Floral, grassy, and rather bready with the clove-like yeast of a Belgian. Though a Saison is a French strain... the smell isn't even close to what I have come to expect from the style. Odd...
- Lovely herbal and floral flavors with a nice grassy and earthy hop touch. A light touch. But it isn't a Saison by any means. To me this is an herb infused floral American Amber with some American hops, and some stuff thrown in. It tasted very good, and is crisp and lemon-like... but why call it a Saison?
Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Bubble typical British Ale yeast-like pale... it's a tad cloying, and even has hints of chewiness... but the flavors leave a little film over the palate. Quite drinkable, and goes down well... but the flavors make it a nurser.
- Seems the series has continually gone downhill. I might even get disrespect for being so critical, but in that I find a grassroots beer-blog is most beneficial. If one is to call a beer a Saison... make it a Saison! Simple. This beer is an amber-forward Pale Ale infused with herbs and floral essences.. and I am not impressed. Perhaps thrown in just to make the numbers? Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Elysian, and have been drinking their beers as long as it has been distributed to Portland.. but for the series.. this has hit the bottom. Not a Saison.
2.93/5 rDev -13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)