Saturday, June 2
Beer Review: Elysian Brewing Ruin Rosemary Agave IPA (12 Beers Of The Apoco Series #5)
Here is the 5th in the '12 Beers Of The Apocalypse Series. It is an IPA brewed with rosemary, agave nectar, and lemon peel. It ranks in at 7.3% ABV. Perhaps this is a lot like a pub favorite, the Rosemary IPA? Or a blended recipe of a couple beers? Some may know...
... but what I do know, is that the Idiot Sauvin is still my favorite from the series. Here's the review:
- Pours a lightly cloudy light copper and straw yellow brew. Minimal head, but a thing fluffy and thick lace-making head. Leaves a light layer over the brew. Looks like a solid west coast IPA to me.
- First favorite thing about the aroma, is the northwest piney hops. Spicy piney and fresh hops galore. There is a light zesty fruity touch just barely sitting in the background. Must be a light biscuity malt, because not much grain comes through but for a mild sweetness. So far, a really good aroma.
- Ok, this puppy is a great tasting IPA. The piney zesty herbal and grassy bitter hops are quite nice to balance the sugary sweet bready grain and agave fruitiness. Great balance, and yet still rather hop-forward. This IPA might even be better minus the rosemary and agave even.
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- This is one nice chewy IPA. Well carbonated without being too bubbly like some. Quite drinkable, and super drying from the hop bitterness. This stuff goes down easy, one to keep a close eye on. Little sticky and cloying. Overall nice.
- Solid bitter hoppy flavorful and drinkable brew with a subtle unique herbal and fruity touch that isn't bad, it just leaves me wondering what this brew might be like without the alternative ingredients. Either way, it is very solid. I like bitter-dry. If you do too, you will dig this brew.
4.1/5 rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Posted by Brewmance at 5:57 PM