Tuesday, March 6
Beer Review: Elysian Brewing 'Rapture' Heather Ale (Apocalypse Series)
"February 21 will usher in RAPTURE, an ale of opulent proportions flavored with heather tips. Unlike the various Rapture events predicted by pseudoscientists and alarmist evangelicals, the beer will be very real and frankly delicious, combining the floral fragrance and slight bite of high country heather with Northwest Glacier hops in another 7% abv beer. FALLOUT follows in March, right around the time of the vernal equinox. Fallout will be a pale ale made with green cardamom."
- Pours a nice clear copper color like a nice IPA. Finger of foamy white head settle to a thin spotty pillow with a bit of a ring making some lace on the glass.. overall not bad.
- Interesting floral aromas.. they even had drifted a few feet slowly to my nose before I even picked up the beer... like walking by someones garden on a warmer spring day in the NW. Somewhat sweet, some light grainy caramel malt, touch of brown sugar... overall pleasant.
- Wonderful lightly sweet floral qualities... it seems to taste very well balanced, and has the grain presence of a rather mild amber ale. Lightly bready, bit grainy and caramel-like.. some grassy and earthy hops, and a touch of spice and pepper. Kinda nice!
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Bit chewy and medium bodied.. carbonated like most basic ale yeasts.. drying from some bittering hops... and parching. Quite the bitter feel..
- I like how this is very different from what almost anyone else has done. I think they used just the right amount of ingredients to not make any of each overpower one another. It is still quite a bitter brew and perhaps could be classified as an IPA because of that.. but there is a nice subtle malt bill that backs it up. Not one I would recommend as a regular, but is a nice treat as a one-off.
3.65/5 rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Posted by Brewmance at 7:43 PM