Thursday, February 9
Beer Review: Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
"Rye has been a staple grain for millennia—sought after for its stubborn resilience in the field and revered for its unique flavor. Ruthless Rye IPA is brewed with rustic grains for refined flavors—combining the peppery spice of rye and the bright citrusy flavors of whole-cone hops to create a complex ale for the tumultuous transition to spring."
ABV: 6.6% Malts: Pale, Rye, Caramel, & Chocolate
Beg. Gravity: 15.2 Plato Yeast: Ale Yeast
End. Gravity: Gravity 3.1 Plato Bittering Hops: BRAVO
IBU's: 55 Aroma Hops: Chinook & Experimental Hops
Color: Deep Red Dry Hops: Chinook, Citra, & Experimental Hops
- Clear dark amber, close to a brown. Fluffy fingers of off-white head settle to a white thin pillow and bubbly lace around the glass. Brew bubbles well.
- Very nice pine, floral, grassy, and earthy hops. One of the reasons I like Sierra Nevada so much is how they hop their beers. Always zingy, and always fresh smelling. Smooth semi-sweet malt backing, bit bready, and caramel infused.
- Great bittering hops. Nice pine and zesty hop bite rides along a mild bready malt backing. Rye isn't too present, but has sneaked in there a little bit. Wonderful earthy herbal and citrusy mouth puckering finish. Certainly a balanced, and great beer.
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Little drying from the bitterness, and a medium bodied brew which is nicely carbonated to perfection. Little cloying and chewy, and is an easy drinker.
- This beer kind of brings me back to their Anniversary Ale, which frankly pissed me off when they pulled it. This just seems to have a different sweetness and malt balance to it, but the hops are what brings me back. I read a bit of this beer before I finally purchased a bottle.. and am now surprised at some of the more negative reviews. This beer is damn good, and solid. I will be buying more for sure.
4.22/5 rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Posted by Brewmance at 5:14 PM