Tuesday, January 24
Beer Review: Widmer Brothers Rotator Series #4 Spiced IPA
You can see the release notes of this beer below. I was fortunate enough to try this release early, and receive a 6-pack for the price of showing up to the event. I poured 1.5 12 oz. bottles into a Widmer imperial pint glass which was also a fine gift.
The brew is a Chai Tea experiment with many hops, and is Widmer's first bottled release ever to be dry-hopped.
- Pours a nice clean and clear light amber orange. Finger of thick foamy head sits around a bit and creates a foamy and frothy thin blanket with lacing all about the glass. Certainly a clean and crisp pretty beer.
- When I had this on tap, the first thing I noticed was a wonderful hop punch to the face. Has a nice tea and cinnamon/clove aroma mixed in with an herbal earthy character. Hops add a nice pine and citrus flare along with a lightly sweet caramel and bready wheat grain. All melds together very well, and the hops are wonderful.
- Balance is the key word in this beers flavor. The spiced tea, bitter and not so-bitter hops, sweet malt, grain character, and more black tea all blend extremely well in this beer. In the beginning i thought the tea might be a bit too strong, but it all really does balance out. Zesty pine and citrus hops, malt that isn't too sweet, and cinnamon herbal clovy goodness.
Mouth Feel: (4.5)
- This beer is crisp, and is a light drinker for being 7% ABV. The bitterness in the finish dries the mouth and creates a nice chewy profile. It's not really sticky at all which is nice. Perfectly carbonated and drinkable.
- Has to be my favorite in the series, and it seems I keep saying that with each new Rotator Series release. This is well balanced folks, easy to drink, is their hoppiest yet I believe, and tastes great while packing a punch. Hardly any alcohol flavors at all. Get it when it hits the shelves in just a little over a month.
4.15/5 rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Posted by Brewmance at 6:01 PM