Sunday, January 29
Beer Review: Hopworks Noggin' Floggin' Barleywine
Nice to see this at Bridgetown Beer House last night during the wonderful PDX Beer Geeks bottle share... so I made this my purchase for that evening.
"About Noggin Floggin Barleywine: This winter warmer features a luscious fruity, caramel aroma with resinous hops and a malted toffee flavor followed by a warming finish. Drink a few of these and you’ll be saying “gunter glieben glauchen globen.”
ABV: 11% IBU: 70 OG Plato: 24"
- A so very lightly cloudy IPA-like brew. Much lighter in color than I expected, and glows like a west-coast IPA. Orange, a little murky splash of brown, and caramel. Off-white finger of foam quickly settled to a little bubbly ring in the glass, and some thin islands afloat.
- The scent is masked in its malty madness. Almost a touch vegetative, citrus-like, and grassy herbal. Roasty sweet caramel is very light, and a bit of alcohol shines through when forcing myself to take a deep whiff to get some scent. Touch of meatiness and rubbing alcohol really.
- Sweet creamy malts, caramel, esters, fruit, grass, and pancake. Certainly a unique flavor. Almost like a marshmallow pop-tart type of sweetness to it. Nice pine and grassy bitter hops. Chocolate even? Sweet cream? Kind of an oddball but not bad. Almost seems to have a slight corn and oatmeal flare to it. Also a touch of some interesting woody and vanilla like flavors.. though not barrel aged.
Mouth Feel: (4.5)
- Nice medium to heavy body... really rich, smooth and creamy. This might just be the best aspect of this beer.. which is kind of too bad really. Well carbonated, and leaves a nice thin layer of beer film behind to lend the mouth some chewiness.
- This Barleywine is just kind of strange and different overall. Has a great hop bitterness, and just a really odd blend of flavors going on overall. It's a touch lighter in color than most barleywines, and just has some taste that I can't put a flavor too... but it's familiar. It's not bad.. just takes a moment to adjust to. Bet the bourbon barrel version is killer.
3.4/5 rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Posted by Brewmance at 5:44 PM