Thursday, December 15
Beer Review: The Bruery/Elysian/Stone Collaboration - La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado
I am grateful that Elysian's Regional Sales Manager David Chappell handed me this bottle after mentioning that he left it at a table at Roscoe's in Portland. Stone Brewings Rep Erin brought the goodies. I also had this beer on tap there that evening. Solid, but didn't hit very high marks for me. Let's see what this bottle brings shall we?
"Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Céleste de Citracado
-- Malt bill: Pale, Rye, Crystal, Chocolate Rye, English Brown, Aromatic, and Honey malt
-- Hops bill: Warrior, Motueka
-- Adjuncts: Pumpkins (grown at Stone Farms), yams, toasted fenugreek, lemon verbena, birch bark,
-- Stats: 5% abv, 47 IBUs
-- The Bruery – Patrick Rue (CEO/Founder), Tyler King (Head Brewer);
-- Elysian Brewing Company – Dick Cantwell (President/Head Brewer);
-- Stone Brewing Co. – Steve Wagner (President/Co-Founder), Mitch Steele (Brewmaster)
-- Availability: Limited, one-time brew. Single 12-oz. bottles and draft.
-- Distribution: AZ, CA, CO, FL, IL, MA, NC, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TX, VA, VE, WA
-- Release date: October 17 in Southern California, rolling out other markets over the next several weeks."
La Citrueille Céleste de Citracado Collaboration Video: http://vimeo.com/30568618
- Pours a nice rather clear dark brown. Off-white finger of foam quickly settled to a ring and thin scatter above the brew. Overall simple.
- Lovely citrus and zesty lemon flare hits me first. Subtle grain, light sweetness, and a great spicy aroma hits later. Slight molasses, woody notes, and candied yam. Not bad, and it is rather light.
- Balanced. The great thing about the flavors here, is that not one is overdone. Lovely pumpkin spice and yam action, along with a great citrus lemon zesty appeal. Subtle bready brown ale grain creates the backbone. Little herbal, grassy, and earthy from some hops and bark.
Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Medium to light bodied, and pale-ale-like bubbly carbonation. Little touch drying from what must be primarily early boil hops. Overall simple much like the look.
- Solid drinker, and off the beaten path for sure. I like seeing these collaborations, and this is one from 3 of some of my most favored breweries that are not right here in my backyard. Love the ingredients, and I do think it's a good beer, and worth the purchase.
B+ / 3.83
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Posted by Brewmance at 8:44 PM