Saturday, December 17
Beer Review: Boulevard Smokestack Series Saison - Brett
"Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.
Color (EBC) 12
Bitterness (IBUs) 38
Original Gravity (Plato) 17
Terminal Gravity (Plato) 2.5
Alcohol (ABV) 8.5%
CO2 - Bottles 3.49 vol (6.9g/L)
CO2 - Kegs N/A"
Been wanting to try this brew since it is one of my favorite styles. Found this bottle at QFC for a hefty $15.99. No 02273 of 13400.
- Beautiful beer. Cloudy straw yellow and glowing farmhouse orange hue. Huge multiple inches of frothy bubble head bursting above the rim of the glass rather quickly. Settles with large lace made of large bubble outlines, huge frothy ring and a light fluffy thin blanket.
- Lovely woody tart sour. Bready lightly sweetened grain. Very floral in quality as well. Zesty lemon peel, clove, spice, peppery yeast. Super refreshing and great sour aroma. Very good.
- Refreshing lemon zest, grassy herbal, and floral hops are really present as well.. all melded superbly with a lightly sweet bready grain. Lovely dry brett character, and a spicy lager-like hop flare. This is super good. Little spicy, clove, earthy woody hoppy goodness.
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Bubbly well carbonated brew. Dry from the bitter hops and brett character. This beer was done very well. Light body, yet chewy, and crisp. Refreshingly light and thirst quenching.. yet dry that it makes one want to keep drinking it.
- Quality. This is a damn fine beer. Well made, and all the flavors are melded perfectly. I love this style of beer, and I feel this is very true to what it should be. Between something like this, and the winners from Block 15 Brewing and the like... I am in heaven. Wish the price wasn't so high, but that doesn't affect my judging.
84 / 4.22 rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Posted by Brewmance at 9:47 PM