Monday, December 26
Beer Review: Boulevard Brewing Nutcracker Winter Ale
My wonderful Aunt snagged me up a 6-pack of this. I had seen it in a few oddball places, but never purchased it. Also with the 6-pack was 2 very nice imperial pint glasses. Or better stated.. 22 oz. glasses. (Not pictured below).
"Nutcracker Ale is Boulevard’s holiday gift for real beer lovers. This hearty, warming brew is a classic winter ale, deep amber in color, with hints of molasses balanced by the “spiciness” of freshly harvested Chinook hops.
Color (EBC) 61.8
Bitterness (IBUs) 38
Original Gravity (Plato) 16
Terminal Gravity (Plato) 3.8
Alcohol (ABV) 5.8%
CO2 - Bottles 2.6 vol. (5.1 g/L)
CO2 - Kegs 2.55 vol. (5.0 g/L)"
- Semi-cloudy amber brew with a couple fingers of slow forming light tan head. The head has settled leaving some bubbly lace behind with a thin pillowing blanket above the ale. Solid.
- Light zingy spice, a pleasant citrus zest and almost orange peel character, light brown sugar, and a touch of molasses. Overall a unique and pretty good smell.. almost like a fruitcake without being overwhelming. Perhaps some light bitter grassy hops.
- Indeed like a waldorph's salad of sorts. Fruity canned mandarin orange, grape peel, and light sweet bready grain with a hint of molasses and/or brown sugar. Very interesting and unique brew. Love the bitter earthy hops to balance it out.
Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Lightly creamy and smooth medium bodied brew. Plenty carbonated and easy to belch. Bit chewy and drying, and has a very tart bitterness that leaves a little zingy feel on the tongue. Not bad.
- I like this better than most winter beers that seem too sweet and loaded with spice. This one takes on a whole different spectrum of winter flavors. Seriously, we all know those fruity salads with mayo and walnuts. This is much like that, an amber with all those flavors without the dank mayo and nutty flavor. Not bad.
3.63/5 rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale
Posted by Brewmance at 8:14 PM