Today is apparently 'Stout Day'. I guess I am a little late on knowing this earlier. Thankfully I had a stout in the fridge ready to go that I snagged up a few days ago at By The Bottle.
I like most Porters better than Stouts overall. But with each, I like them best when they are either dubbed as 'Robust', or as in a stouts case 'Extra'. I many times like the stronger versions best before they enter a bourbon barrel.
"Mammoth Extra Stout
7.8 % Alcohol By Volume
50 International Bittering Units (IBUs)
Dark and full-bodied, Mammoth Extra Stout provides a cozy blanket of warm and fuzzy flavors, including chocolate, caramel, coffee and nut. Huge portions of pale and specialty malts give this mammoth brew a complex palate while hops provide well-rounded balance.
Any time of year, pair the robust flavors of Mammoth Extra Stout with slow-roasted, caramelized meats and vegetables. Or contrast the deep dark roast flavors of this wonderful brew with silky soups; creamy pasta dishes, cheesecake or crème brulee; or berry fruits, compotes and sauces.
DISCOVER THE WOOLLY ONE.
AK - 22-oz bottles and draft (year-round)
WA, ID, OR, CA - 22-oz bottles (year-round)"
- Wonderful dark jet brown brew.. chalky look, can't see through a single bit of it. Wonderful frothy mocha colored head.. slowly settled to a thin layer which looks like a very dense and bubbly foam. Lacing all over the glass. A very pretty stout indeed.
- First hit with a mild sweet chocolate, followed by some grassy and earthy bitter hop aromas.. mainly grass, some pine, woodiness. Some esters going on.. raisin.. light alcohol aromas. Not bad, but the viscous fluid seems to be hiding much more.
- Great stunning chocolate and cream tasting stout. Balanced very well with some citrus and bitter hops which too are quite grassy and herbal. Nice roasted touch, and sweet fruit. Earthy woodiness as well.
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Not as thick as I thought it would be. It is however a bit dry, and chalky like many stouts, but it's balanced sweetness keeps the palate moist. Overall very easy to drink, and perhaps dangerous.
- This is a solid, and balanced stout. Very drinkable for it's strength. Overall it's not a super impressive beer.. but it does stand out among many others. I can only imagine what this would be like on a nitro tap.
B+ / 3.93
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)