Glad I got a hold of what i think was the last bottle at By the Bottle here in Vancouver. Never really had much from Schmaltz, and am now on a Shmaltz kick.
Barrel Aged Harvest Barleywine
Brewed with Pomegranate Juice, Fig Juice, Date & Grape Juice,
Aged in Sazerac 6-Year Rye Whiskey Barrels
- Nice super dark brown brew that I can hardly see through in my large glass. Wonderful slowly rising light tan head.. settles with lace all about, and scattered pillows of foam. Pretty beer.
- Rich sweet malts. Very caramel and candy-like with a molasses, fig, and touch of esters. Little bit of alcohol with a touch of whiskey, vanilla, and earthy oak flare. Certainly smells like a heavy one.
- Hot damn. This is one heavy barleywine full of complex flavors. Certainly one to share with friends. Big caramel malt with wonderful vanilla whiskey flare. Esters, fig, all melded in there with maybe a small dose of earthy hops. Hard to say, but there is a nice gritty rye note going on. Win.
Mouth Feel: (4.5)
- High marks on the feel. Not so hot, not overly dry by any means though just a touch, and not too thick and syrupy. Very well put together. Medium to heavy body, and super easy to drink for its strength.
- Great beer, and well made for sure. I can't quite recall, but I don't think the price of this brew broke the piggy bank. Price doesn't affect my judging though. It's about the beer. This is a great beer, and makes a nice sipper late at night while reading a book or relaxing with friends. Easy to drink, very full of flavor, and hits the spot. Get it if you can.
A / 4.38
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)