Finally managed to grab this at By The Bottle. A 4-brew series in a 12-pack. Starting with what I think will be my favorite in the bunch.
The wonderful 12-pack consists of the Juniper Black Ale (at 8.0% Alc. by Vol.), the California Common (at 6.5% Alc. by Vol.), the Weizenbock (at 6.8% Alc. by Vol.), and the Double IPA (at 8.5% Alc. by Vol.).
I have been very excited to try these beers. They all seem very well made, rather strong, and solid. Lately I have noticed that Sierra Nevada has really been sticking to the styles of beer.. something I had been openly critical about in the past. All four of these beers are very unique from one another, and all sound great to me. I will do a 4-part review process of these beers, and only through my live reviewing will I even learn myself which one I like better of the bunch.
- Super dark black brew, only a hint of ruby brown seen through the very edges of the liquid in my cheater pint. The head was a quick 2-fingers of light tan/mocha that leaves a good amount of lace in the glass.. leaves a thin film on the beer.
- A rather subtle smell. Like a velvet bed of black IPA hiding something. I get an ester and bright fruit zing from the juniper, a roasted porter-like malt cocoa, and some fine bitter and grassy hops. Overall the smell is quite good, and light.. but very well rounded.
- Wonderful woody flavor with a great roasted chocolate, bitter bitter hops, grassy, earthy, subtle juniper, and almost a smoked wood flavor. A great unique taste, and am quite thrown back and impressed. Not overly sweet by any means, and so very balanced. This is one tremendously good beer. Hard to describe the world of flavors.
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Well carbonated, slightly chalky, and medium bodied. Bitterness creates a dry palate, and the flavors force the palate to ready itself.
- Get it. This beer is excellent excellent. I certainly hope this beer can be found again after this beer camp pack. It is so well balanced, unique.. and screams of quality. It will be very tough for the next 3 to beat this one.
A / 4.33
(BeerAdvocate.com Rating Scale)
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp